How to target your customers with social ads for your dealership
Reaching your audience with the right message at the right time can make all the difference.
You’re probably already doing everything you can think of to keep your social media presence engaging and be there for the potential buyers when they are ready. (If not, maybe you just don’t have the time? Check out our Handsfree software that helps keep your dealership's social media presence relevant.) But other than maintaining your current audience, how are you reaching new people?
You can start with whatever budget you think is reasonable and reach new people on the networks you are already using!
How do you make sure that your spend isn’t being wasted on people who aren’t interested in your inventory?
Target. Target. Target.
This article is an advanced topic intended for dealers looking to reach a new audience on social media in order to reduce spend and increase ROI.
Now Facebook advertising has been getting into the nitty gritty of targeting for a long time. They’ve had a corner on the market for a while, but do you know how to unlock their advanced targeting?
For those of you familiar with Facebook advertising, there are two options available to set up ads. The Facebook Ads Manager and the Power Editor. We are going to be using the Power Editor in this article on setting up social media advertising for dealerships. Not sure where to go? You can visit www.facebook.com/ads/manage/powereditor to get set up.
Now, we encourage everyone to take some time to think about your audience. What does your customer look like? No we don’t care what he’s wearing. Do you know how old he or she is and what interests he or she has. That’s how you need to start thinking. We encourage you to start setting up your target audience’s profile ahead of time in Facebook Ads Power Editor so that you can get a good feel for your targeting options and audience size.
Social Media Content Calendar
You can do this by going to Facebook, logging into the Power Editor and choosing to create a “Saved Audience.”
Now you can create your social advertising list of targets without even having to worry about setting up the ads yet.
Ready? Here are the targets to make sure you are applying.
- Location – Choose a city or even get down into zip code data
- Detailed Targeting – Now this is where you’ll really set your targeting apart and target their behavior. Start typing in your inventory names, types and terms related to your business to get the options best suited for you. Here are a few examples of the categories:
- Jetski interest
- Motorcycle owner
- In-market for a new vehicle
- Pick a range of incomes that could apply to your customer to reach more qualified buyers
- Have a high cost product? You can even choose “above average spenders” as a target
Under advanced connections you can also choose not to target people who are connected to your own page. (Sorry, targeting other page’s audiences isn’t an available option.)
Lucky for you, Facebook and Instagram can be set up together! All the hard work you put in narrowing down your target audience on Facebook for your dealership’s social ads are going to pay off on Instagram as well. Just make sure to “Add Instagram Placement” in the options when you are setting up the ad.
Twitter advertising can be another great option for your dealership if you’re already maintaining a social presence there. We know it can be daunting. Check out our dealership social media management software if you need a quick, efficient and cost-efficient solution.
Twitter’s targeting options can make your head spin if you don’t know where to look. So here are the key targets for your dealership’s social ads.
- Keywords – use these in conversational ways! How are people talking about your product? Not sure? Do some research using Twitter’s search feature to get started: https://twitter.com/search-advanced
- Followers – target people similar to followers of any Twitter account! Find your dealership’s manufacturer’s social profile and make sure to add them to the list here
- Interests – add on people who have expressed interest in your product. Just start typing in your product name and click your category. Then think about what other products might go hand-in-hand.
- Behaviors – here again you can target potential buyers and actual owners of your inventory.
Now that your targeting is set up, you can start building out social ads for your dealership and know that you are reaching the right people!
Make sure to keep testing new things and paying attention to which ads perform the best so you can update your targeting and ads for what works best for you.
Looking for more? Here are two additional ways to make use of social advertising for your dealership.
- Set up remarketing on all networks – You can start building up this the list even if you’re not going to advertise to them immediately.
- Set up lookalike audiences – Upload your own customer lists to reach new people who are likely to be interested in your business because they’re similar in characteristics to those on your email list.
Now all of these forms of social ads for your dealership are going to perform much better when you already have a social audience to build off of. Make sure you are keeping your social presence engaging through organic content to keep getting to know your audience’s interests. The more interesting your content is, the more buzz your dealership will get and the more customers you are likely to attract!